Friday, 8 March 2013

Ollie's Ugandan Adventures


The homeless on the streets of Busia
For 2 months in 2010 I lived with a group of 16 guys and girls on mission and charity work in Kenya and Uganda. On May 3rd 2010, we travelled to Maanga, Busia for the first time. I met Pastor Macho and his wonderful family, who continue to lead the community work out there. After camping out and battling against the mosquitos, the day started at 5am visiting the street slum and the glue-kids. We then journeyed a few miles to the plot of land, with 3 people per bike, re-enacting Wacky Races on Cartoon Network! The earliest pictures from the video, (see right), show the state of the land when we arrived the development since then!

Wacky Races
 We spent 2 days on the construction of the buildings, working alongside locals. The hot sun made hard work, and the Ugandans set a high tempo of work! On the second day I went round on visits with Pastor Macho and a doctor, where I saw effect of the harshness of where they live. One boy called Nelson aged about 3, had suffered from Malaria so many times that it had affected his mental state. It was precious insight into the delicacy of human life and the power of malaria in this continent. Nelson, along with Rachel and Neah who i also met, were a key part of inspiring longer relationship with the community.


The mudhuts in the surrounding villages where I visited children
 We then travelled on with Pastor Macho to another community and enjoyed getting to know him better. His life had been full of trials in which he had lost his mum, dad, brother and sister to malaria. After hearing his testimony, late on 7th May 2010, Steve and I committed to founding the charity to further support the long-term work on the projects and people that our hearts had been broken for in Uganda. The battle with malaria was very real, after 40 bites 1 night I still escaped malaria, but 2 of the team contracted it in the days following. This has fueled our desire to do as much as we can to prevent and malaria through nets and basic medication. Our passion is to work alongside the Ugandan community and empower them with the resources to rebuild their community. I am planning on going out next year, but until then am fundraising, including the Hastings Half Marathon to raise money towards installing sustainable solar panel system and to start saving for a teacher to educate the children than now gather in the buildings! 
Ollie and Steve (Founders) on the back of motorbike

1 comment:

  1. Such an inspiring story, good luck with your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete